Thursday, May 12, 2016

Morrie Aphorism Project

Tuesday's With Morrie Aphorism Blog
"There is no such thing as too late in life."


     My aphorism "there is no such thing as too late in life," means a lot to me. One of the most blatantly obvious meanings is that you shouldn't think of age as a barrier when you desire to do something. It's never too late in life to start something new. Some people may want to do something, and think that they missed their chance, but it's really never too late. You always should be able to do what you want, regardless of your age, or what others think. Even if you can't succeed at it, you can always try your best. Therefore, I believe that the aphorism "there is no such thing as too late in life" means that it is never too late to follow your dreams, and do what you want most.

     This aphorism reminds me of the swimmer Diana Nyad. At age 60, she swam all the way from Cuba to Florida, without a shark cage! Diana earlier stated, "Approaching 60 last year threw me into the existential angst of wondering what I had done with my life. I felt choked by how little time seemed left. I started swimming a few laps, just to take some pressure off the knees from all the other activities I enjoy. My workouts escalated. My motivation started to burn like a fire in my soul. At 60, I could swim from Cuba to Florida. This time, without a shark cage. I was experiencing what millions my age are feeling these days. Disenfranchised, no longer valued, terribly worried that my best days were behind me. Yet the business of life is to live large and you can dream at any age. This should be the prime of our lives. Training for this swim has filled me with the heartening, empowering conviction that it’s never too late to chase your dream." I feel like this quote really proved that you are never to old to achieve your dreams! Even a 60 year old can break records that some 20 year olds will never be able to even imagine doing in their lifetime. In short, my aphorism has a great resemblence to the amazing story of the aged 60 record breaking swimmer, Diana Nyad.

     Personally, I agree and disagree with this aphorism for various reasons. In most cases, it is true that "there is no such thing as too late in life." You can typically do what you please at any age, if you work hard enough. On the other hand, it is sometimes too late in life. If you are 100 years old and want to climb Mt. Everest, that realistically won't happen. Take Morrie's case for example, he can't dance anymore because of his disease, which is also preventing him from partaking in the things he wants. As you can see, I agree and disagree with my aphorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment