Thursday, February 4, 2016

Berlin Memorial Blog

During class, I learned about the restrictions, or laws that were placed on the Jews during the years of WWII. These laws slowly worsened through time, starting with small things, but growing to the fact where their basic civil rights were taken away. Some of these included, not being able to have certain jobs, restrictions to attend schools, having to wear a star, which signified that they were Jewish, forced middle name changes, no access to the right to own a radio, and much more.

I think the monument was build to remind everyone of the horrors of the Holocaust, and the many people who died throughout its events. The monument is also a place where people can remember people, who they may have known or not known. It also server as a reminder of our freedom. At the time, the Jews had to freedom, no rights. We on the other hand, do have freedom, and the monument should serve as a special reminder that we should be thankful for what we have.

One thing that I noticed about the laws through the years was that the laws slowly worsened, and took some of their human rights away. At the very beginning, the laws were very simple, and only applied to certain people. For example, the laws were just you could not be apart of select clubs. Later on, new laws were added like, Jews were not able to go to swimming pools or shows. Towards the very end, the laws included restrictions of talking on phones or going to school. As you can see, the laws progressed throughout the years by getting much more severe.

I think that I would have the hardest time with the law where you could not go to school. This would be very difficult for many reasons. First, it would be hard because I would not be able to see my friends, which I connect with every day. I would also not be able to learn as much. It would sort of be like dropping out of school, once you do it, it is hard to get back in. Lastly, I would miss learning everything, without school, life would be boring, because I would not know anything new!


No comments:

Post a Comment